KAREN KURTZ MATZKIN
Karen focuses her practice on estate planning, probate, and estate and trust administration. She has extensive experience in implementing both simple and complex estate plans. Karen counsels clients on strategies to achieve estate planning goals and eliminate or minimize estate, income and generation-skipping transfer taxes. She drafts Wills, Revocable Trusts, Irrevocable Trusts, Durable Powers of Attorney, Health Care Proxies, Charitable Trusts, etc. and serves as both a professional trustee and personal representative for many of her clients.
Karen guides her clients through the estate and trust administration process by preparing and filing papers in Probate Court, identifying estate assets, obtaining necessary appraisals, preparing and filing federal and state estate tax returns, handling estate tax audits, securing and recording releases of estate tax liens, preparing Probate Inventories and Accounts, collecting life insurance and employee benefits, assisting with transfers of investment assets and the establishment of estate and trust accounts, and organizing distributions to estate and trust beneficiaries. She also counsels clients with respect to post mortem estate planning.
• U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
• Massachusetts Bar Association
• Boston College Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2000
• University of Rochester, B.A., 1995
• Buckingham, Browne & Nichols, 1991
• Brier, Marandett & Rossetti LLP (2019 – Present)
• King & Navins, PC (2002-2019)
• Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP (2000 – 2002)